Leuven MRC is looking for a new Industrial Research Fund (IRF/IOF) Research Manager in the field of Materials Innovation for a Circular Economy. The deadline for applications for this high-profile position is January 24, 2019. (PTJ, Leuven, 7/1/2019)
Innovation manager in the field of Materials Innovation for a Circular Economy
The Industrial Research Fund (IOF) bridges strategic basic research, technological innovations and industrial collaborations. We want to create value for the industry and society and impact on people’s lives around the globe by facilitating the transfer of knowledge and innovative solutions resulting from our outstanding multidisciplinary research. We have a team of 33 experienced innovation managers engaged in the development of practical and innovative technological solutions based on the expertise and infrastructure of the research groups within KU Leuven. We are looking for an innovation manager to coordinate, develop and support the valorization strategy in the field of materials innovation for a circular economy supporting an interdisciplinary team of researchers of the KU Leuven Materials Research Center (KU Leuven MRC). Valorization opportunities are situated in the fields of materials for energy (e.g. batteries, PVs, supercapacitors), sustainable organic materials (e.g. renewables, recycling) and sustainable inorganic materials (e.g. process intensification, upcycling, sustainability assessments).
- Coordination of KU Leuven MRC in close cooperation with its chairman;
- Representation of KU Leuven MRC in national and international platforms (e.g. SIM, EIT RawMaterials);
- Exploration of opportunities for potential projects and match-making between technologies available in the consortium and the identified industrial needs in the fields indicated;
- Contributing to the strategic planning of research and tech transfer agenda of the research groups;
- Identification of funding mechanisms, forming or joining project consortia and establishing collaboration agreements;
- Creating visibility, promoting the research and valorization program of the consortium to create business;
- Supporting the consortium in any cooperation with the industry, the management of intellectual property and the creation of spin-off companies, in consultation with KU Leuven Research and Development.
- Supporting researchers from the project writing stage to the identification of the right exploitation trajectory for their research results (collaboration agreements, patents, licensing, spin-offs).
- Doctoral degree or minimum 5 years of experience in strategic research in one or more of the relevant disciplines (materials, metallurgical, electrical, chemical, civil or mechanical engineering, bioscience engineering, chemistry, physics, geology, materials science);
- Keen interest in the area of materials innovation, in the circular economy, and in valorization of applied scientific research with economical and/or societal relevance;
- Experience with the exploitation of research towards industrial actors or have industrial experience in an innovation-oriented environment;
- Knowledge on intellectual property strategy and technology transfer;
- Excellent networker, flexible, client-oriented and creative with a getting-things-done mentality;
- Able to work independently as a team player;
- Excellent in (grant) written and oral communication.
An exciting and challenging job, focused on continuous innovation and development in a transdisciplinary and international context. We offer a permanent position as Industrial Research Manager of the Industrial Research Fund (IOF) at KU Leuven, the most innovative university of Europe.
For more information please contact Mr. Sammy Brié, tel.: +32 16 37 37 24, mail: firstname.lastname@example.org or Prof. dr. ir. Bart Blanpain, tel.: +32 16 32 12 16, mail: email@example.com.
You can apply for this job no later than January 24, 2019 via the online application tool
KU Leuven seeks to foster an environment where all talents can flourish, regardless of gender, age, cultural background, nationality or impairments. If you have any questions relating to accessibility or support, please contact us at diversiteit.HR@kuleuven.be.